Annie Nicholas writes paranormal and science fiction romance. Read about her hot vampire thrillers, werewolf romantic stories, alpha shifter and sexy alien romance.

Featured Post

Not His Werewolf Release Day!

Book 2 of Not This Series It's release day! After being disowned and labelled human because she can’t shift, Betty Newman rescu...

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Reflections



Most of us stop at this time of the year and reflect on the year gone by. Where have we been, what did we do, and did we miss anything? But I find that I do this two other times of year as well and not only on the New Year.


I actually start my year in September. Ever since I was a little girl we started a new year in school in that month. It felt like a new beginning and a fresh start. I think that stuck. Each fall I gather my eggs and take account of my life then make new goals. Within these plans is where I want to be in January.

On the New Year I re-evaluate my situation. I go back out to the chicken coop gather those eggs again, see what’s rotten, what feels right, and sweep up any shells. The clock counts down and while most start with their resolutions, I plod out my next steps in my goals.


My birthday arrives in summer and I’ve almost come full circle. By now I hope my goals are almost done and if not, I use the rest of the time until fall rushing to get them accomplished. This works for me. I’m not a resolution kind of person but I am a doer.

With this attitude and simple plan, I put myself through college. Moved to another country and started a family. Created a successful career and started a new one. It worked for everything else in my life so I used it to write my books.

So this weekend I’ll be putting on my boots and heading out to check those eggs. I about one chapter behind in my novel but I did get another unexpected novella written and contracted so bonus.

What about you? Are you a goal setter? Do resolutions work for you? Is there a different part of the year that feels more like a beginning for you?

7 comments:

susan said...

Guess you can say my goal seting is in January. I was born the 4th so very close to a new year so I revamp and do my best to alter things for the up coming year. susan L.

Annie Nicholas said...

That makes sense. Happy early Birthday Susan!

J Hali Steele said...

Good for you, Annie - you've accomplished so much!

I'm not a New Years resolution person. I detest winter and just slug around. I do come alive in the spring...it goes with spring cleaning, lol. I sweep out the old and bring in the new and start my planning then.

Sandy said...

I'm just horrible about goals. I set goals last year and didn't make a one for myself and my writing. I did accomplish a lot of promotion, but that wasn't one of my goals. Grrr.

Rebecca Rose said...

I'm a New Years Revolution woman and a September one as well. With the kiddos back in school it helps me finish the goals I haven't yet completed or started. I actually take a break in Spring; just can't seem to get anything done with the outdoors calling me to dig in the dirt. :)

Unknown said...

hey Annie, awesome post. I have a new year's resolution to have a successful business,accomplish what I've been wanting for quite some time.

This hits close to home.

Ciao

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn) said...

Great post, Annie.

I don't generally make resolutions, though I do have goals, and they get overhauled every time I strike something off that list. But it's true that the new year is a new beginning for me. School's in for the kids, new semester at uni, pretty much everything is spread from January to December so I go with that layout too and plan my work to coincide.

Happy new year!!

Hugs

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn)